Power to the People
December and January are peak months for electrical fires due to holiday decorations and the usage of space heaters, however; with the increase in electronics per household, such as computers, wide screen televisions, and video and gaming systems, circuit overloads can happen at any time.
Electrical circuits in your home or businesses are designed to take a limited amount of electricity. Overloads occur when you draw more electricity than a circuit can handle. Overloaded outlets and circuits carry too much electricity which generates heat in undetectable amounts. The heat causes wear and tear on the internal wiring system and can start a fire. All wiring systems have circuit breakers or fuses to disconnect power when circuits become overloaded, however; an improperly sized fuse or breaker can cancel this built in safety feature.
Signs of overloaded circuits are:
1-Buzzing from outlets or switches.
2-Outlet or switch covers that are warm to touch.
3-Burning odors from outlets or switches.
4-Scorched plugs or outlets.
5-Power tools, appliances, or electronics that seem to lack sufficient power.
Prevention is the best way to eliminate an electrical fire to your home or business. You can never be too careful when it comes to the safety of your family, pets or customers. If you feel you may have circuit problems or want to check your electrical system before a problem occurs, remember to call a reliable licensed electrician and if a fire should occur, know that SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen is there to get your life back in order and make it “Like it never even happened.” Call 707-301-4200.