Flood Cleanup Expectations
The aftermath of a flood in Lockport, IL, is often overwhelming. When it’s time to start the cleanup, it can seem like an impossible task. Along with additional cleaning requirements, staying safe, filing a claim and much more can quickly cause additional headaches. Luckily, there are water remediation and flood restoration providers that can make the process go more smoothly. While waiting for help, the cleanup process can begin but requires a safety-first mindset.
Before the Cleanup
The mess left behind makes it hard not want to start the flood clean process as quickly as possible. Before jumping in, it is important to do the following:
Wait to enter your home until it is deemed structurally sound.
Once safe do to do so, wear protective clothing before entering.
Ensure gas and electricity are shut off.
For insurance purposes, take photos or a video of the damage.
Work with your insurer before starting any cleanup.
A flood is not normal water damage. It can contain sewage, debris and other harmful contaminants, which means additional cleaning requirements.
Along with cleaning up the mess, a strong flood disinfectant is needed to prevent potential microorganisms from causing issues. Anything that has come in contact with flood water needs to be cleaned and disinfected. Keep the following in mind as you begin the cleanup process:
1. Rugs, bedding, furniture, clothing and other similar items will need to be moved outdoors to dry and prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
2. Kitchenware will need to be disinfected, and cupboards and counter will need a thorough cleaning.
3. A mattress that has come in contact with floodwaters should be tossed.
4. Portions of plaster, paneling and wallboards will need to be replaced, at a minimum to where the floodwaters rose.
5. Depending on the type of insulation used in the home, it may need to be replaced.
6. Floors and carpeting will require professional cleaning. A wet subfloor could take months to completely dry. Increasing airflow circulation can help things dry out faster.
While flood cleanup may have additional cleaning requirements, the right help can get your home back to “Like it never even happened.”