Extreme Heat Safety Tips to Prepare Your Home
The Summer of 2018 has been an extremely warm one. There are things you can do to keep the heat out and the cool in, in your home.
- Install window air conditioners snugly: insulate if necessary.
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window reflectors (for use between windows and drapes), such as aluminum foil covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Weather-strip doors and sills to keep cool are in.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon with drapes, shades, awning, or louvers. (Outdoor awnings or louvers can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80%.)
- Keep storm windows up all year.
Extreme heat is a serious danger. For more information on preparation and prevention, visit ready.gov or cdc.gov.
"Stay safe and be cool!" from SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen.