Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
What You Can Do Until Help Arrives
Should a fire occur in your home or business, here are some helpful tips you can use to help limit the damage until SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen arrives:
- Limit movement of people in the structure to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Place dry, colorfast towels on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
- Wipe soot from chrome trim, then protect with a light coating of lubricant.
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen.
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting with a SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen professional.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical equipment or appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (708) 301-4200
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.