Holiday Decorating Tips To Keep Your Property Safe
The holidays are here and it is time to celebrate by getting in the holiday spirit with decorating your property. As holiday decorations can bring loads of happiness and cheer, they can also bring costly disasters if not done safely. A few tips to remember to keep your property safe and keep the holiday spirit going are:
Ensure that you keep all your walkways free from obstructions and make sure that no Christmas trees or holiday lights block any doorways or exists.
Adding a few strands of holiday lights around can be a festive way to brighten your property, however; it is important to inspect all electrical cords and lights for frayed or loose wires and avoid overloading electrical outlets.
Choose decorations that are made of fire retardant materials.
Avoid using decorations that have an open flame and never hang decorations from fire sprinklers.
Some of you may think, who in their right mind would not realize some of these suggestions, but each year approximately 1,300 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries related to improper installation and use of holiday decorations and lighting. Christmas tree related fires cost an average of $20 million in property loss and damage each year.
Keep your property festive and safe and know that SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen is there for you 24/7 even during the holiday season if needed. Call 708-301-4200.
"Baby it's Cold Outside!"
Once again the cold weather is upon us and in an effort to stay cozy and warm, people turn to alternative heat sources such as fireplaces, wood burning stoves and portable heaters to provide that warmth. Heating is the second leading cause of home fire deaths making it important to review ways to reduce the risk of a heating-related fire.
Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
Keep flammable objects at least three feet away from heating equipment.
Plug space heaters directly into outlets. Do not use extension cords or power strips.
When using fuel-burning heaters, use only the type of fuel specified by the manufacturer.
Never use kitchen stove burners to provide heat, they were made for cooking only.
Install and maintain carbon monoxide and smoke alarms inside your home. Test alarms monthly.
Stay warm and be safe. Start the New Year out the right way and if needed, call SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen at 708-301-4200.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Being an industry leader with more than 1,400 franchises strong in cleanup and restoration, SERVPRO is equipped to handle any cleanup or restoration job no matter how large or small. With SERVPRO's Storm Response Team, SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen has access to vast resources at its disposal to help with any situation.
When a natural disaster sweeps through a region, whether it's a wildfire, blizzard, flood, tornado or hurricane; SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen Franchise Professionals knows your family can't afford to wait for your home to be restored to preloss condition. Every hour of unmitigated damage can cause more damage to your home or business and more stress and trauma to you or your family.
When disaster strikes, you need help, and you need it now. If the unthinkable happens and a natural disaster strikes your area, you can be sure SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen will be there, working to make it "Like it never even happened. Call 708-301-4200.
Biohazard Cleanups Need a Specialist
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of Lockport / Lemont / Homer Glen offers fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup and restoration services to both residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health issues for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove hazardous substances can contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen professionals are trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, we help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and businesses. Our biohazard professionals have had special training to help with the following:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Methamphetamine Labs
- Crime Scene Residues
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
If you or your business is in need of a biohazard cleanup, give SERVPRO of Lockport / Lemont/ Homer Glen a call at 708-301-4200.
Tips to Prepare Your Home for Winter Ice Storms
Winter is once again coming and along with it comes one of your home's worst enemies; ice dams. Ice dams are continuous chunks of ice that form along the edges of your roof. During the warmer parts of a winter day, water melting off the roof pools behind the ice and then seeps back up under the shingles; causing damage to the interior of your home. To try and prevent ice dams, you have a few options:
- Make sure all gutters and downspouts are cleared of trapped leaves and debris.
- Being very careful, try to remove the snow off your roof after a heavy snowfall with a snow rake or call in a professional who can provide that type of service. Usually this can only be done on a single story home.
- Make sure that your attic is properly insulated and vented. Building codes require 12' to 14" of insulation.
- The next time you re-roof, run a special adhesive ice-and-water barrier 3" to 6" up the roof from the edge. It can be rather expensive but can save you money in the long run.
- Have heat cables installed on the edge of your roof where ice usually dams up.
As hard as we try to control some of the things that mother nature throws at us, it doesn't always work out. If you suspect you may have damage to your home due to ice damming or any other cause, give SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/ Homer Glen at 708-301-4200 and we will send our trained professionals to help you with your problem.
How to Prevent Your Pipes From Freezing
A water pipe burst due to no heat on while homeowner was gone and caused damage and mold through entire house.
As temperatures plummet, the risk of your pipes freezing and bursting goes up. Burst pipes are one of the most common causes of property damage and can cause thousands of dollars in water damage according to the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety. With the costs of utilities going up these days, water and heat conservation is at the top of everyones list, however; think about the cost to repair your home if a pipe should burst.
The pipes most at risk are those located in unheated interior spaces such as basements, attics, and garages and especially pipes running through cabinets and exterior walls.
Here are some steps to take to prevent frozen pipes:
- Installing pipe insulation (about .50 per linear foot) to vulnerable pipes.
- Keep garage doors closed especially if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Let the cold water drip from the faucet, even a trickle can prevent the pipe from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the day and night.
- If you are planning to be away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home no lower than 55 degrees.
- For long term, add insulation to attics, basements and crawl spaces to maintain warmer temperatures. Also seal cracks to prevent drafts.
Following up on a couple of these tips could mean the difference between dollars and thousands of dollars. If you have an issue with a leaky or burst pipe, call SERVPRO of Lockport / Lemont / Homer Glen at 708-301-4200. We are there for you 24/7. Let us make it "Like it never even happened".
Turkey Frying Safety Tips
If you plan to deep fry your holiday bird, be sure you know how to safely use the fryer, and take these precautions to protect yourself, your guests and your home.
- Fryers should always be used outdoors on a solid level surface a safe distance from buildings and flammable materials.
- Never use a fryer on wooden deck or enclosed space.
- Purchase a fryer with temperature controls and watch the oil temperature carefully.
- Make sure the bird is completely thawed before it is placed in the fryer.
- Do not overfill the fryer.
- Choose a bird no heavier than 12 lbs.
- Never leave a fryer unattended.
- Never let children or pets near the fryer.
- Use well insulated pot holders or oven mitts and wear long sleeves and safety goggles to protect from splatter.
- Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher nearby.
- Once finished, carefully remove the pot from the burner, place it on a level surface and cover to let the oil cool overnight before disposing.
By following the above tips, you can have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving. Everyone at SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen would like to wish you and your family a "HAPPY THANKSGIVING".
Mold vs. Mildew?
Mold and mildew both have a few matching characteristics. Both thrive on moist, warm areas and can grow on a multitude of surfaces, from food, to your shower to a sheet of paper, and of course they are both two types of fungi that no homeowner likes to see in their home.
However; mold and mildew also have striking differences when it comes to size, color a and texture
Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or white fungus that is on the surface of a moist area. Mildew can be easily treated with a store bought cleaner and scrub brush.
Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation. This type of fungus can appear as almost fuzzy and even slimy in nature. Toxic molds can be harmful to both humans and ecosystems.
The key to treating mold and mildew is to remove it as soon as possible before it has a chance to do permanent damage to your home.
If you think you may has a mold issue, call the mold removal professionals at SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen at 708-301-4200.
SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemon/Homer knows timely mitigation is the key to reducing severity and recovery of damaged items especially when it comes to paper goods. Water or smoke damaged paper can deteriorate rapidly. Without proper handling, valuable files and irreplaceable documents could be lost forever.
Let SERVPRO'S Document Restoration Team help you recover your damaged paper goods before it's too late. Our technicians are trained to use the most advanced technology available as the Library of Congress uses to dry water damaged books.
Vacuum freeze drying is the most efficient and effective way to salvage water damaged documents. This process can recover even the most delicate items, from documents to photographs and x-rays to entire business archives. Your documents will be protected with the utmost care and privacy to keep your documents safe.
For further information, please call SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen at 708-301-4200.
Is Your Property Ready for Winter?
Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not ready for it. Heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet, or snow can cause serious and costly property damage. To prevent costly damages, consider the information below:
- Check your property for weakened and over grown tree limbs and branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause serious damage to both the property and individuals.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected and in good working condition to avoid ice damming which can lead to exterior and interior damage.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to avoid slippery areas.
- Inspect water pipes to make sure they are properly insulated to avoid freezing and breaking.
- Ask SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/ Homer Glen 708-301-4200 about completing an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your business. The ERP is a no cost assessment of your facility and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster.
When winter weather strikes, call SERVPRO of Lockport/Lemont/Homer Glen Franchise Professionals to strike back